Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Tackling place value...the benefits of being a new follower

Each year, my students struggle to master place value. Not all of them, mind you, but a handful or two. These students seem to continue to struggle throughout the year because they lack the understanding of how numbers can be broken down and combined, leaving them at a loss to understand reasonableness when they are computing.

My solution has been to break the skills down into explicit, easy to follow, step-by-step instructions that I review and give students opportunities to practice. I also give them a "cheat sheet" to help them remember how to do the skills and a series of graphic organizers that help them visualize the process. While I have been doing this for years, I have finally realized that I may not be the only one finds students needing a little extra support during this unit. As a result, I created a mini-unit/intervention unit to help other teachers who are in the same boat as myself. For me, these tools have been a lifesaver, and if a student is still struggling after I provide them with this level of practice, I can provide that information to our problem solving team to support that I am implementing classroom interventions. These tools would also be great for an interventionist to use in a small group! You can get this 20 page unit on my TpT store here or enjoy a free preview of the unit by clicking the image below.

Place Value Intervention Pack-Preview

But...and here is where the new follower benefits come in. Three people who become new followers before December 1st will win this unit for free. All you need to do is leave a comment on this post indicating you are a new follower and provide me with a way to get in touch (email), and I will randomly select three people to receive the unit. I will announce the winners and they will have it in your inbox on December 2nd!

No comments:

 
Blogging tips