Shhh! It's a secret :)

I love Mr. Popper's Penguins. I think it is a great book for critical thinking, vocabulary, and just a fun book to read. Each year, I have my students research where Stillwater might be (looking up different cities named Stillwater around the country using maps and the internet)...the answer, by the way, is Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey (a township not a full city), and Minnesota. It is so fun to watch them put the text clues together with their research to determine which city might fit the story. The rich vocabulary is also AMAZING! I use it to teach context clues... and to help my students infer when the book was written. Icebox, anyone? It really is one of my favorites...so much so that I refuse to watch the new movie that came out because I heard it was such a departure from the text. (However, I did create a Venn Diagram to compare the two)...which I will put up as a freebie here once I am back on my home computer. Well, after reading this book EVERY YEAR, I have finally put the time in to create a series of trifolds for the text. I have posted it to TpT, and you can get it by clicking here. Become a follower of The Third Wheel's Facebook page to find out about today's secret sale.

2 comments:

Breanne Marsh said...

I am a third grade teacher and I love reading Mr. Popper's Penguins. They love it! I will definitely head over to your TpT store to check it out.

I love making worksheets and fun activties for my class. As a New Years resolution, I just started a blog last week. I would love for you to check it out!

http://msthirdgrade.blogspot.com/

Tab Purvis said...

Hi Mrs. D! I fell in love with tis book father I read it this summer. It reminds me so much of Dr. Doolittle books. I wrote a common core unit for it and I'd love to share with you. I was wondering if you'd be interested in swapping. I would really like to try your Magic Tree House trifolds out if you think you could use my unit. Just a thought!
Tab
Stop and Smell the ... Children

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...